Hawaii’s Enrichment & Education Professionals
Kama‘aina Kids takes the health and welfare of our keiki, staff and community to heart. With concerns over COVID-19, which is the disease caused by the coronavirus, efforts to specifically educate and prevent the spread of COVID-19 continue at all Kama‘aina Kids sites and programs. Additional information and efforts can be found below.
What is COVID-19
- COVID-19 is the disease caused by the new coronavirus that emerged in China in December 2019.
- COVID-19 symptoms include cough, fever and shortness of breath. COVID-19 can be severe, and cases have caused death.
- The new coronavirus can be spread from person to person. It is diagnosed with a laboratory test.
- There is no coronavirus vaccine yet. Prevention involves frequent hand-washing, coughing into the bend of your elbow and staying home when you are sick.
How is COVID-19 spread?
Recent information indicates COVID-19 may be passed from person to person. Community spread is being seen, also. Community spread means people have been infected with the virus in a particular area, including some people who are not sure how or where they became infected. COVID-19 has been detected in people throughout China and in over 100 other countries, including the United States.
The spread of this new coronavirus is being monitored by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization and health organizations across the globe. On Jan. 30, the World Health Organization declared the COVID-19 outbreak a public health emergency.
- A Toolkit for Supporting Families regarding COVID-19 by Teaching Stategies
- CDC Guidance for School Settings
- 031020 Letters to preschool parents
- Daily Health Checks
- Routing schedule for cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting
- Making Sanitizers and Disinfectants
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Guidelines